Latest Updates:
Page Index Toggle Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 ... 6
Topic Tools
Very Hot Topic (More than 25 Replies) New Open Games book (Read 91759 times)
Jonathan Tait
God Member

Re: New Open Games book
Reply #61 - 11/20/15 at 10:15:01
Post Tools
Nice to see 1 e4 e5 2 f4 exf4 3 Nf3 Nf6 recommended in the King's Gambit. So many repertoire authors opt for a "practical" counter, when there are far more interesting variations to choose from... such as the Schallopp Smiley

blog inspired by Bronstein's book, but using my own games: http://200opengames.blogspot.co.uk/
IP Logged

Lauri Torni

Si vis pacem, para bellum.

Reply #60 - 11/13/15 at 16:10:53
Post Tools
Anders wrote on 11/13/15 at 15:55:02:
Lauri Torni wrote on 11/13/15 at 09:51:04:
Where did you get it. Amazon seems to sell them only to UK. (I'm from Finalnd)

I got my copy earlier this week to Sweden from  www.newinchess.com. Should work for Finland as well I assume.

Thanks! I ordered it Smiley

1.Nf3! -  beat your opponent by killing his zest for life.

IP Logged

Anders

Reply #59 - 11/13/15 at 15:55:02
Post Tools
Lauri Torni wrote on 11/13/15 at 09:51:04:

I got my copy earlier this week to Sweden from  www.newinchess.com. Should work for Finland as well I assume.

IP Logged

rossia

Saw: "Game Over!"

Reply #58 - 11/13/15 at 11:47:54
Post Tools
ruzomberok wrote on 11/12/15 at 23:53:50:
Thanks for your feedback!

Dear Martin,

When I firstly recognized that you are the author of upcoming 1... e5 book I was very suspicious at first  Sad

I thought that you're not on the same level as Bologan or Quality Chess authors, on the grounds that you work alone without strong helpers, but purely relying on engines and previously published literature on Open games  Undecided

But after reading an excerpt of your book, most importantly the intro by GM Grandelius, I immediately change my prejudice about your book. I saw that you're aspiring player with 2 IM norms, and currently being Elo 2358.

What we expect, and what we get from you, is a diligent repertoire for Black!

You're not on par with GM Bologan whose excellent two books I have (Bologan’s Ruy Lopez for Black and Bologan's Black Weapons in the Open Games), but honestly this time I don't care so much because I have faith in you.

I'll order my copy of your book in few weeks  Cool

I wish you all best  Grin

IP Logged

Lauri Torni

Si vis pacem, para bellum.

Reply #57 - 11/13/15 at 09:51:04
Post Tools
wolfsblut wrote on 11/07/15 at 20:20:16:
I get it today and browsed here and there......I' am really impressed.This seems a very fine book and I really looking forward to going deeper.....
Thanks Mr. Lokander Smiley

1.Nf3! -  beat your opponent by killing his zest for life.

IP Logged

ruzomberok
YaBB Newbies

I Love ChessPublishing!

Reply #56 - 11/12/15 at 23:53:50
Post Tools
Thanks for your feedback!

Regarding the 6.Nc3 d6 7.a4/a3 Be6-variation, I agree that I could've clarified it more. I don't, however, believe it's very logical to take on e6 since the knight on c3 would be misplaced, but I could have made that clearer.

I can't do much about any eventual forced draws Smiley After all, it's a book for Black.

I thought a lot about whether I should go for the Complete Game-format, but I'm quite happy I did. The downside is, like you say, that sometimes the most critical variations is analyzed in the notes instead of the main lines, but I also thought it was quite important in many cases to show entire games. As you probably noted, after the opening phase my comments are very brief during the rest of the game.

Regarding the single columns, I have absolutely no idea Smiley

IP Logged

Fllg
God Member

I Love ChessPublishing!

Reply #55 - 11/12/15 at 19:24:32
Post Tools
I like the book too but will mention just a few unorganized points of (minor) criticism:

Tauromachie wrote on 11/11/15 at 18:28:09:
For example in the "quiet two knights" (4.d3) he prefers to avoid the exchange ..Be6 Bxe6 fxe6 in general. While other sources claim this exchange and the arising pawn structure to be completely unproblematic for black (based on the potential counterplay along the f-file) i agree with the author.

About that I am a little puzzled that after 1.e4 e5 2.Nf3 Nc6 3.Bc4 Nf6 4.d3 Be7 5.0-0 0-0 6.Nc3 (a rare line, but still...) d6 7.a3 or 7.a4 Be6 is the only recommendation without even mentioning the possibility of capturing on e6 for White?!

In the Two Knights after 4.Ng5 d5 5.exd5 Na5 there are a few forced draws making it to my taste a bit unpractical for regular use.

Time and again I have seen that the best moves (for both sides) are "hidden" in the notes. This is due to the format with complete games of course. That makes a book sometimes a bit impractical to study regarding the "critical" lines.

And I really don´t understand why Everyman is so fond of the single column format. Again this is a book with a lot of blank space which could probably be avoided with double columns.

IP Logged

JEH
God Member

"Football is like Chess,
only without the dice."

Reply #54 - 11/12/15 at 13:19:55
Post Tools
Tauromachie wrote on 11/11/15 at 18:28:09:
What i found good however was that he is giving quite a lot of original analyses, not just "copying" the recommendations of Bologan

Thanks for the review. Looks like it will be nice to have more options  Cool

Those who want to go by my perverse footsteps play such pawn structure with fuzzy atypical still strategic orientations

Clowns to the left of me, jokers to the right, stuck in the middlegame with you

IP Logged

ruzomberok
YaBB Newbies

I Love ChessPublishing!

Reply #53 - 11/11/15 at 21:36:35
Post Tools
Thank you for all your feedback!

Regarding my variation against the Scotch Gambit, you're absolutely right. I was not aware that this book covered the Scotch Gambit, and James Schuyler should be fully credited for the 8...cxd6-idea. My bad!

I was not aware of Buecker's 12.Bg5-line against 5.O-O either. It certainly looks like a fascinating variation. From a purely theoretical view it seems to me like Black should be fine. Maybe 12...Rd5!? is an interesting approach. I'm just throwing it out there without having analyzed it very deeply, but it looks interesting. 

Regarding the Scotch with 4...Bb4+, as I said in the introduction I tried to make Vaibhavs 11...d5 work, but White probably keeps some advantage there. It's of course possible to play these variations (after 7.Nf5) more solidly with ...d6, but I've never been to fond of playing these types of positions where White seemingly has a bind on the centre. It just seems more comfortable for White.
Eventually, when I found a few ideas in the 4...Nf6-lines I started analyzing that instead and was very happy with what I discovered.

I'm very glad about the positive feedback I've received! Thank you!  Smiley

IP Logged

Tauromachie
YaBB Newbies

I Love ChessPublishing!

Reply #52 - 11/11/15 at 20:21:45
Post Tools
kylemeister wrote on 11/11/15 at 19:23:56:
In the Two Knights after 8. Bd3, I thought 8...Nd5 has been quite a main move (so I don't know why it would get "!?").

My fault. It is actually given as 8..Nd5!

IP Logged

kylemeister
God Member

Reply #51 - 11/11/15 at 19:23:56
Post Tools
In the Two Knights after 8. Bd3, I thought 8...Nd5 has been quite a main move (so I don't know why it would get "!?").
Versus 8. Qf3, I'm kind of interested to see that this author chose 8...Rb8, which I think of as the old main move (e.g. it was "!" in a Tim Harding book of over 40 years ago ).

IP Logged

Tauromachie
YaBB Newbies

I Love ChessPublishing!

Reply #50 - 11/11/15 at 18:28:09
Post Tools
Received my copy yesterday Smiley Some remarks after brief reading:
(If i am giving to many secrets away feel free to delete this post!)

First of all i have to say that i really like Mr.Lokanders explanations about how he came to prefer certain lines or structures over (sometimes by theory more established) others.
For example in the "quiet two knights" (4.d3) he prefers to avoid the exchange ..Be6 Bxe6 fxe6 in general. While other sources claim this exchange and the arising pawn structure to be completely unproblematic for black (based on the potential counterplay along the f-file) i agree with the author. Just not my cup of tea.

I was also pretty stunned to see the refinement in the 6.Bb3 line (1.e4 e5 2.Nf3 Nc6 3.Bc4 Nf6 4.d3 Be7 5.0-0 0-0 6.Bb3) with 6..d6 7.c3 d5!?. A typical nice creative idea from GM Romanishin which was completely new to me. The point is to get an improved version of the known Marshall-Gambit idea with Re1 Bg4 h3 Bh5 g4 etc., arguing that the extra move 7.c3 is not at all useful for white because it weakens the d3-pawn and - even more important - stops the knight heading to c3. I used to play it the bold way with 6..d5 (mainly in Blitz with i have to say decent results but it really seems a bit shaky objectively) but i guess i will switch to 6..d6! Nice work!

The chapter on the "pure" 2 knights seems pretty decent too.
As I play the Ulvestad-Variation (1.e4 e5 2.Nf3 Nc6 3.Bc4 Nf6 4.Ng5 d5 5.ex b5!?) - which Mr.Lokander dismisses as beeing better for white (  Cry ) - i am not booked up enough to dare to say something about his choices. What i found good however was that he is giving quite a lot of original analyses, not just "copying" the recommendations of Bologan's but going his own way.
Ie. 8.Bd3 Nd5!? (8..Ng4 Bologan) and 8.Qf3 Rb8 (8..Be7 Bologan). He is also giving 6..Bd7!? as an underestimated back-up line. All in all pretty nice variety !

Chapter 3 is about the remaining 2 Knights (in particular 4.d4 of course). In the line 1.e4 e5 2.Nf3 Nc6 3.Bc4 Nf6 4.d4 exd 5.0-0 he is going for the theoretical equalizer 5..Nxe4 (I would have loved to see 5..Bc5 recommended which is sharper as it leads to the Max-Lange Attack but well.. You can't have it all Smiley) 6.Re1 d5 7.Bxd5 Qxd5 8.Nc3 .. Bologan prefers the "old" and reliable 8..Qa5 whereas Lokander goes for the arguably sharper 8..Qh5 ( also making a point for 8..Qd7 btw) which is also my prefered choice. 9.Nxe4 Be6 10.Bg5

- 10.Neg5 0-0-0 11.Nxe6 fxe6 12.Rxe6 Bd6 with a nice kindside initiative is rightly better for black.
But what about 12.Bg5 ?, an old idea of FM Stefan Buecker which has been discussed years ago at this forum. The idea is 12..Re8 13.Re4!? and starting a kindside offensive with moves like a3,b4 and pressurizing the e5/d4 pawns. This plan works out pretty nicely in blitz games but of course it is some kind of backwater theory so i am not complaining that it is not included in the book. Don't get me wrong Smiley

It's not easy at all to get some excitement going in the 5.0-0 line but the author finds a nice way of unbalancing in recommending 10..Bd6 (I prefered 10..Bb4 but if white finds 11.Nxd4 the game gets pretty technical). No boring stuff, that's for sure.

Next the Scotch Gambit (1.e4 e5 2.Nf3 Nc6 3.Bc4 Nf6 4.d4 exd4 5.e5). Once again Mr.Lokander points out why he dislikes certain lines for black. The established mainline with 5..d5 is one of them as - while beeing equal of course - it gives white an easy attacking plan on the kingside. Instead he opts for the enterprising 5..Ng4!?, which is even nowadays quite underestimated. Maybe this book will change that ?
As far as i can tell the analyses is pretty good, i like it. At one point i have to disagree with Mr Lokander though.. 1.e4 e5 2.Nf3 Nc6 3.Bc4 Nf6 4.d4 exd4 5.e5 Ng4!? 6.0-0 Be7 7.Re1 d6 8.cxd6 cxd6
"[..]Neither have i found it mentioned in any books or analysis, so for once I can credit this idea to myself[..]"
I'm sorry to curb your enthusiam ( i really am ), but as far as I know this idea was pointed out earlier by James Schuyler in his book "The dark knight system". It's not a e5-Repertoire book, as it covers the scotch gambit via transposition (1.e4 Nc6 2.d4 e5 3.Nf3). Maybe that is the reason it was not on your radar ?

Against the Scotch 4..Nf6 is recommended. In the introduction you said you first wanted to recommend 4..Bb4+!?, a line I play myself. May i ask what line did put you off of this idea ? Smiley

Would have been really amazing to see this line in a repertoire book as it is both theoretical fresh with a huge room for new ideas and creativity and tricky to handle for the opponent because it gets white out of his comfort zone. 

His recommendations against the Scotch 4 Knights / Spanish 4 Knights are pretty unique and i especially enjoyed the chapter about 4..Bc5 in the Sp. 4 Knights, very good stuff ! Smiley

Now to arguably the most controversial choice in the entire book.. Kudos to you for going the greedy way against the Danish gambit !
It is really the first time I see this recommended in a repertoire book for the open games. All sources i know are showing the easy way of equality with 3..d5!. ..But there is not much scope for outplaying the opponent.
I don't have a clue about the Danish Gambit Acc. from the white perspective to be honest so my choice of 3..d5 (Or 3..Ne7 in a "must win situation") was born out of pragmaticism.
I am in general a great believer in dynamic potential but your antidote seems both just so easy to learn and sound that i will maybe change (after some more investigation) from 3..d5 to 3..dxc3!

To wrap-up ( and i did not even scratched the surface of the book) a nice work by Mr. Lokander for everyone who is looking for a somewhat more enterprising way of playing 1.e4 e5 Wink

IP Logged

wolfsblut

I Love ChessPublishing!

Reply #49 - 11/07/15 at 20:20:16
Post Tools
I get it today and browsed here and there......I' am really impressed.This seems a very fine book and I really looking forward to going deeper.....
Thanks Mr. Lokander Smiley

IP Logged

Bibs
God Member

Reply #48 - 11/02/15 at 09:00:06
Post Tools
All in all, it may be better to wait for the book to be available. Then the lines can be discussed and dissected.
I look forward to getting my hands on Mr Lokander's book and having a wee look myself....

Best,
B

IP Logged

Smyslov_Fan
YaBB Moderator
Correspondence fan

Progress depends on the
unreasonable man. ~GBS

Reply #47 - 11/02/15 at 07:01:10
Post Tools
If you want to discuss the King's Gambit, check out the section devoted to it. If you have special lines that you play, they have probably already been mentioned there. We have several authors who have written extensively on the King's Gambit. I'm sure they'd love for you to share your ideas!

http://www.chesspub.com/cgi-bin/chess/YaBB.pl?board=Kgambit

IP Logged

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 ... 6
Topic Tools
Bookmarks: del.icio.us Digg Facebook Google Google+ Linked in reddit StumbleUpon Twitter Yahoo